Thanks for your interest in blogging for the IOEE! We love connecting with writers who can help us fulfil our mission: advancing the practice of entrepreneurship.
If you have exceptional writing and/or design skills and would like to share your expertise with a large audience of entrepreneurs, educators, and small business owners, we'd love to hear from you.
Please take some time to review this entire page -- it should answer any questions you have about what kind of content we're looking for and how the submission process works.
The Bare Essentials for Every Post We Publish
Successful guest contributions are comprehensive, data-driven, and interesting posts that teach our readers something new about the world of entrepreneurship. While we tend to skew toward content about learning and skills development, that's not all we talk about. We're also interested in publishing any topic that entrepreneurs and educators care about, which includes things like hiring, staff development, marketing, finance, business support, and larger internet trends, among other things.
We also look for a few things in everything we publish:
- Original concepts, compelling arguments, and high-quality writing. We will not republish anything that's been published elsewhere.
- Article reflects the writing style/tone of the IOEE. We aim to be casual, yet helpful, and typically we stay away from buzzwords and jargon.
- Proper attribution of data, quotations, and outside content referenced in the article.
- No more than one link to your company's website in the body of the post.
Why should I write for the IOEE blog?
Blogging for IOEE may help you build your reputation and further your career. When you write for us, you become part of the IOEE family. Not only will you get a lot exposure and credibility, you have the potential to connect with some of our influential members if they like your post. Our community is a friendly and active group, and we like to help each other out.
Who is IOEE's audience?
While we educate anyone involved in entrepreneurial endeavours, our ideal readers are entrepreneurs, small business owners, enterprise educators and business support professionals.
What makes a good IOEE post?
- Read our blog. Develop a sense of what we publish. Subscribe to our newsletter to get our most recent posts.
- Write for our audience. Address their needs, fears, challenges, burning questions, pain points.
- Have, and hone, a main message. Edit your intro so that the point of your post is ridiculously clear.
- Be prescriptive. Don’t just tell readers to do something. Explain how.
- Tell a story – like a journalist. Cover who, what, when, where, how, and why. Make it personal. Share things you’ve done and seen, lessons you’ve learned, money you’ve saved (or earned), audiences you’ve grown, problems you’ve solved, etc.
- Make it concrete. Give examples, details, metrics. Tell and show. Make it real. Deliver 'aha' moments for readers who may be scratching their heads.
- Make it long enough to engage and enrich readers (and no longer): We don’t have a word-count goal.
- Self-disclosure. Please disclose any relationships / partnerships you have when providing examples, technologies, etc. (e.g. if an example comes from a client or your company, indicate this in the post).
- Avoid or explain buzzwords. Some of our readers feel turned off by geekspeak. If you’re talking tech, help people understand – in a nonscary way – what’s possible and why they should care.
- Be thoughtful when including links. Posts with too many links back to your domain will look spammy and will be rejected.
- Self-promotion. Avoid promoting your tool or company in your post. Your member profile page is a good place to do that.
- Use a friendly voice. Say I, we, you. Use contractions as you would normally (you’ll). Write as if talking with a friend.
- Include a high res image (PNG or JPGs) and/or video or infographic embed codes.
- Incorporate utility content. Share templates, checklists, step-by-step instructions.
- Give credit. Check your facts and quotations. Cite your sources.
- Let your heart show. Where appropriate, share your feelings!
What topics is IOEE looking for?
In general, we are looking for posts around these categories – as they relate to entrepreneurship:
- Entrepreneurial life
- Marketing and Sales
- Planning and Strategy
- Starting Up
- Enterprise Education
- Business Support
How do I submit a post to IOEE?
You can submit your blog post using our blog submission form.
Your bio: The post will be linked to your IOEE member profile page so please ensure that your bio is up to date.
Your headshot: Your profile picture will be used as the author headshot so please ensure that this is up to date.
Images (PNG, JPG): Upload a high res image which will be used as the featured image for your post.
Infographics, videos, and interactive content: Include the embed code for the infographic within the body of your article.
Got questions you don’t see answers to? Shoot us an email: [email protected] We’ll be happy to help.